In this course, students will use their creativity and problem-solving skills to create original graphic art projects from concept, sketch to design, to implementation. Students utilize Macintosh computers using the Adobe Creative Suite of products such as: Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign to learn the fundamentals of layout and design through hands on projects. Sample topic areas include Principles & Elements of Design, Typography, Logo Design, Digital Photography, etc. Students are also introduced to basic printing and finishing operations. An emphasis is placed on professional conduct and work ethic. Hands-on experience is gained through participation in live jobs throughout the school year, as long as the student is in good standing.
Second year Graphic Design students will improve their design and printing skills through the production of jobs for non-profit organizations and schools. Students will complete higher level projects that have been built on the basic skills learned in Graphic Design I. Additional coursework will be tailored to individual interests. Students in Graphic Design II will also apply and demonstrate their skills by assisting first level students as mentors.
Qualities of a Successful Student:
- Professionalism, respect, self-motivation and honesty.
- Basic reading/writing skills and be able to communicate with other students and instructor on a daily basis.
- Ability to work at a computer station for extended periods of time.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge.
- A like and willingness to sketch and draw!
- Creative thinking skills and an appreciation for art and design
Sample Wage Potential: GRAPHIC DESIGNER (2018 O*Net estimates)
- Maine: Median $42,260; Top 90% $70,230
- National: Median $50,370; Top 90% $85,760
- OSHA 10 Hour General Industry Course
- SkillsUSA Advertising and Design
Instructor: Jaime Clark, email@example.com