A two year program covering AC electrical theory, residential and commercial wiring. All students will receive a State of Maine Electrical Helper license and will be required to complete the OSHA 10 hour safety course.
Class time is split between class instruction, practical wiring, labs and real world projects. The National Electrical Code pertaining to residential wiring is covered in detail. Electrical work is physically demanding; standing climbing, crawling, and using various hand and power tools, along with lifting heavy loads. It is also mentally challenging; applying math skills, reading and interpreting electrical code and blueprints, and visualizing uncompleted work. Students have an opportunity to compete in SkillsUSA at the local, state, and national level. Students will leave the program with the skills needed to work for an electrical contractor at an entry level position and/or continue their education.
The CATC Electrical Technology program is recognized by the State of Maine Electricians’ Examining Board in satisfying the 576 education hour requirement to be eligible to take the Journeyman Electrician’s Exam. The board also awards 1000 working hours for completing the two year program.
Qualities of a Successful Student:
- Maturity and desire to work towards developing valuable job skills.
- Ability to perform calculations using fractions and decimals
- Ability to perform basic computations
- Ability to read and write at grade level and interpret technical texts.
- Attendance – students must meet the state mandated hour requirements in order to get licensing credit. Missed time must be made up.
Sample Wage Potential: ELECTRICIAN (2018 O*Net estimates)
- Maine: Median $54,850; Top 90% $71,420
- National: Median $55,190; Top 90% $94,620
- OSHA 10 Hour Construction Safety Course
- 576 hour program of study requirement towards the State of Maine Journeyman License
- 1000 working hours towards Journeyman license
- National Association of Home Builders Certification
- Maine State Electrician Helper License
College Credit Opportunities:
- Central Maine Community College
- Eastern Maine Community College
- Kennebec Valley Community College
- Northern Maine Community College
- Southern Maine Community College
- Washington County Community College
Instructor: Michael Parent, email@example.com